Sunday, July 20, 2008

Tom Hewitt

I mentioned my uncle Tom Hewitt in my article. He is my mother, Ollie, only brother and the last surviving family member of her generation.

About two weeks ago, he was severely beaten, robbed and tortured in his home on 13th street in downtown Covington. He lives by himself and it took a couple of days for anyone to find him We don’t know how he lived through it. He is still not out of the woods.

So far, no one has been apprehended for the crime. The Covington police are on it and but Tom has been unable to communicate clearly and the robber had a big head start on the getaway. I’m hoping someone saw something or the thug left some evidence.

Uncle Tom was the first newspaper person in our family. Although his limited education and limited eyesight kept him from writing for a paper, he worked for most of his life “stuffing” advertisements into the Kentucky Post, and Cincinnati Post. He rode with a carrier and put the papers into plastic bags. I don’t think he ever worked for another employer.

He is one of the kindest and sweetest people I have ever known. He never married or had children but loves cats. My family gave him one several years ago and the cat has lived a life of royalty. He likes cowboy and G rated movies. He doesn’t read.

He has been disabled for many years but continued to live on his own. After the beating, he won’t be able to.

He is being treated at:

Heartland of Madeira , 5970 Kenwood Road, Madeira, OH 45243
513-561-4111

He would love to hear from anyone but especially those who know him or knew mom.

No comments: